Monday, May 10, 2010

Regina Harris Baiocchi: “Dr. Hale Smith taught me...'listen to your music as you’re writing it'”



[Hale Smith (1925-2009); Regina Harris Baiocchi]

Examiner.com
Celebrating National Teacher Appreciation Week -- Chicagoans' stories about teachers
May 5, 11:54 AM
Chicago Teachable Moments Examiner
Daniel Godston
“This is National Teacher Appreciation Week, and recently I asked several Chicagoans if they would share anecdotes about teachers who have affected their lives. Here are some of their stories.”

Regina Harris Baiocchi
“So many teachers have touched my life. Master composer, Dr. Hale Smith, immediately comes to mind. Without Hale's influence, I would not venture to call myself a composer and author. Hale is the consummate musician who inspires me to be the same; he introduced me to so many people, concepts, et cetera -- beginning with my inner voice. One of the most memorable lessons Dr. Hale Smith taught me was to 'listen to your music as you’re writing it… let it speak to you.' This advice has always served me." -- Regina Harris Baiocchi, poet, composer and educator [Hale Smith (1925-2009) was an African American composer, pianist and professor who is profiled at AfriClassical.com, which features a comprehensive Works List by Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma of Lawrence University Conservatory.]






Comment by email:
Dear Bill, You never cease to amaze me! Your ubiquitous scholarship is just what Black music history needs to keep our stories alive. Thanks ad infinitum...Regina Harris Baiocchi

No comments: