Sunday, June 1, 2008

'Masters of Nigerian music' Include Samuel Akpabot, Akin Euba & Fela Sowande

[Dr. Akin Euba; Andrew W. Mellon Professor of Music; University of Pittsburgh]

Kisses and Roses: Wabi-sabi

Let me appreciate the gems of the Nigerian genius.
How many of them hip-hopping all over the place can appreciate the intellectual depth of Ayo Bankole, Akin Euba, Funsho Ogundipe, Fela Sowande, Joshua Uzoigwe, Sam Akpabot and the other masters of Nigerian music.” Full Post [Samuel Ekpe Akpabot (1932-2000), Akin Euba (b. 1935) and Fela Sowande (1905-1987) are profiled at AfriClassical.com]







1 comment:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Thanks for the monumental online resource of your website for the information, education and preservation of the public knowledge of great African composers.

My father played the violin, but he never taught me, because he never wanted me to study music. In fact he threw away my first recording contract in 1981 and the composition "Hardway To Broadway" was recorded in the US in 1984 and the copy is in the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.

I am going to produce the stage performances of the great Nigerian composers at the MUSON with the earnings from my books and other projects, because if we do not celebrate them, our generation will never know their great legacies.

Cheers and God bless.

N.B:
Once I am ready to produce the first stage performance of Sam Akpabot or Ayo Bankole, I will contact you and use the event to promote your website so that you can also show videos of classical African composers on your main website with audio broadcast to attract more public appreciation.