Wednesday, June 25, 2008

AfriClassical.com Guest Book Post on Fiona Carr and Pianos for Uganda

A post in the Guest Book of AfriClassical.com yesterday involves Fiona Carr of Pianos for Uganda: “I am so excited to learn about your organization. I was actually trying to find a way to connect with Mrs. Fiona Carr of Pianos for Uganda when I followed your link. Please keep me updated with what is going on with your wonderful organization and if you know how I can contact Mrs. Fiona Carr, please let me know. Kind regards, Edward Wilson”

In November, 2007 AfriClassical posted “From Pianos for Uganda to Kampala Music School”. Here is an excerpt: Fiona Carr was among the people involved in Pianos for Uganda, so we invited her to comment on the program: “Yes, I helped start the scheme in 1999, as after 20 years of war Uganda had no reasonable pianos and a LOT of talent! I decided only to teach Ugandan talent and when the students took their International ABRSM exams they caught the eye of the examiner and he helped Simon Yiga and me get the scheme off the ground. Availability of pianos very soon made the talent explode and so raising funds and opening Kampala Music School became the next un-avoidable move! KMS opened in 2001 and within a very short time has become a centre of excellence. The web site which is currently being up-dated will fill you in on where it has now got to. After some 80 pianos had been sent to and put around Uganda we closed the scheme as such, as money seemed more urgently needed for a new purpose built Music School.” KampalaMusicSchool.com is the school's website, which indicates that Fiona Carr may be reached by Email: grahamandfiona@hotmail.com


No comments: