Saturday, December 15, 2018

Composer & Violinist Edward W. Hardy is Crowdfunding to buy a Unique Violin

Edward W. Hardy

Edward W. Hardy writes:

My name is Edward W. Hardy and I am a composer (Off-Broadway's The Woodsman), violinist and violist. I primarily compose solo violin music for Off-Broadway shows in NYC and perform around the Continental US. 

The Project

Welcome to My Indiegogo Campaign!
My name is Eddie, Edward W. Hardy, and I am a composer and violinist living in New York City. I finally have an opportunity to own an incredible instrument that matches my personality perfectly; The Black Violin. I’ve been performing on this instrument for a year now, recorded and premiered my new music in concert halls, performed around the country, including Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, and even earned great reviews and press coverage. As I grew with this instrument, The Black Violin has become an extension of myself. www.edwardwhardy.com

The Long Story (Like the one Mom tells you)

Guy Rabut gave me the opportunity of a lifetime by loaning me The Black Violin and allowing me to grow and flourish with this unique instrument. We have reached an agreement for purchase and he is allowing me time to raise money which is great because it’s my first time ever doing this.
How did this all happen? Well, this violin and I have a history
When I was ten years old living in Harlem, I attended The Juilliard School Music Advancement Program, Bloomingdale School of Music and Manhattan School of Music Pre-College consecutively. I was proud to have been awarded a violin from MSM, based on my merit, to use during my studies. I finally had a violin to use throughout my high school education. The violin would have to be returned upon completion of the program.
My new mission was to find a violin to own, so my parents researched violin-makers in NYC and came across Guy Rabut. I tried two of his violins and a viola, all quite lovely and all out of my price range. He handed me The Black Violin and said, “try this one”, it was love at first sight. He began to tell me the history of the The Black Violin and why he created it. The sound of it was so beautiful I knew this was the one. I asked Guy “How much is this Violin?” He smiled and responded “Too much”. So for years I never knew how much it cost or if I would ever see it or play it again. Over the years I dreamed about The Black Violin. 
After my high school graduation, I received a promise of a scholarship to attend SUNY Purchase Conservatory of Music but only if I majored in viola, so I temporarily put down the violin in my classical studies and purchased a student viola from SHAR Music. During my first week I received the news; no scholarship.  I was heartbroken, too late to change direction. I was committed to my studies at Purchase College. I worked several jobs while in college in order to pay my tuition. I would later go on to earn a Master of Music Degree in Violin Performance.
Since then, I’ve been building relationships with luthiers learning about violins and borrowing beautiful and sometimes expensive violins for concert appearances.
Flash forward to 2017, I created my first one-man show called “Six Violins”. Some were inexpensive violins that I purchased and restored, others were on loan. I even acquired The Black Violin, But How?? Although several years had passed, I never stopped thinking about it. I could only hope that by some chance Mr. Rabut still had it. To my surprise,​ he did still have it and he did remember that young boy so full of wonder and enthusiasm. Who would have guessed he would have loaned it to me for a show, and then for a whole year? The time would come when I would have to commit to purchase or return it. I fell in love with The Black Violin and now it’s a part of me. He is allowing me time to raise money; somehow we both knew it was always meant to be.​

(YouTube) 

Sincerely,
Edward W. Hardy

No comments: