Friday, December 28, 2018

Chicago Sinfonietta: This is What Leadership Sounds Like


Kyle Dickson

A Project Inclusion Alum Looks Back on His Experience...and Forward to Our Signature MLK Tribute Concert  


"Kellen Gray, Kedrick Armstrong, and I are so honored to be a part of this historic MLK Tribute Concert. As former fellows, we don’t think that Maestro Freeman could have even imagined this moment occurring in his wildest dreams.
For me, this concert is so special. I am literally on stage because of his vision to create a program to combat institutional bias in the field. Project Inclusion is a professional development fellowship that develops diverse and emerging musicians, conductors, and administrators on and off-stage. This fellowship has been life-changing for me. Everyone involved is invested in my professional and personal growth, which is unlike any program I've ever been a part of. This fellowship taught me that in order to be a successful (and healthy!) musician, you must be well-rounded and develop skills outside of performing like entrepreneurial and leadership skills. The Sinfonietta goes much further than any other fellowship by being a support system well after the program ends.
Everyone feels like family and I know I am home whenever I am with Chicago Sinfonietta. Kellen, Kedrick, and I are lucky to embody and continue Maestro Freeman’s incredible legacy.
Thank you for supporting Project Inclusion. Your gift helps to pave a path for a new generation of innovators that are committed to continuing Maestro Freeman’s work."

Kyle Dickson,
Violinist

No comments: