Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pianist Fredericka King Performs 'Sonata No. 1' by George Walker & 'Troubled Water' by Margaret Bonds at Weill Recital Hall, 2 PM Feb. 16, 2014


Fredericka King, Piano

Pianist Fredericka King writes:

Hello Mr.Zick,


Always good to visit AfriClassical and see how much wonderful activity is going on in our musical world!

I wanted to share news of an upcoming performance in New York City; I will be playing at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall on February 16 at 2 pm. The program will feature works of Scarlatti, Schumann and works by American composers.

A special work on the program is the Sonata No. 1 by George Walker, which I played  when I first performed in the hall 25 years ago.  After I wrote Dr. Walker that I would be performing his music, he wrote me a lovely letter wishing me good luck on the performance - I was so touched and honored!



The second half will also include Troubled Water by Margaret Bonds, one of my favorites and a piece always well received by audiences.


Best regards
Fredericka King


[George Walker (b. 1922) has a website at http://georgetwalker.com/

and is featured at AfriClassical.com, as is Margaret Allison Bonds (1913-1972), for whom a Works List has been compiled by Dr. Dominique-René de Lerma, http://www.CasaMusicaledeLerma.com]

Comments by email:
1) Dear Bill,  Thank you so much!  When I visit the site I really am stunned in the best way possible by the caliber, breadth, and depth of the many artists whose work that you have news of. And so much information, I would really like to get some more music by Ms. Bonds - All the best, Fredericka [Fredericka King]

2) Thanks, Bill.  Please give my best wishes to Fredericka. I remember coming to New York to hear her recital when she played my Piano Sonata No. 1 and talking with her father. This was a fine performance.  George  [George Walker]

No comments: