Wednesday, August 15, 2012

William W. Craig, III: 'Harry Smyles was my band teacher at Frederick Douglass, I.S. 10, in Harlem, from 1971 to 1975.'

[Oboist Harry Smyles with his son in the foreground]

On Dec. 1, 2010 AfriClassical posted: "Wilmer Wise on Harry Smyles: 'Harry was a very fine oboist and an inspiration to musicians of all colors.'"  

On Nov. 29, 2010 AfriClassical posted: “Oboist 'Harry M. Smyles was my Uncle and a pioneer in the struggle for equality based on skill.'” We quoted a comment by Janathan Johnson:
“Harry M. Smyles was my Uncle and a pioneer in the struggle for equality based on skill and talent for his passion for music. His endeavors have encouraged a number of young musicians to persevere and I am terribly proud of him and miss him more each day.”

Today we have received a second comment, from an elder statesman of the trumpet, Wilmer Wise: “Harry was a very fine oboist and an inspiration to musicians of all colors. Wilmer Wise” 

William W. Craig, III has commented on Aug. 15, 2012:

Harry Smyles was my band teacher at Frederick Douglass, I.S. 10, in Harlem, from 1971 to 1975. It was Mr. Smyles who introduced me to the wonderful 'world' of music. At his urging, and under his tutelage, I participated in various bands and orchestras, and ultimately gained entrance to New York's coveted LaGuardia High School of Music and Arts and the Performing Arts. Because of his benevolence, my family and friends regularly received complimentary and preferential seating at various cultural performances throughout New York. It wasn't until I became an adult, that I learned of Harry Smyles' many accomplishments.  I regret never having thanked him for the humongous deposit he made in my life. 

No comments: