Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Lara Downes: A 200th birthday tribute to Clara Wieck Schumann comes out Sept. 13


For Love of You
Official Trailer

"My Clara, what would I not do for love of you?"
Robert Schumann to Clara Wieck, 1838


Lara Downes writes:

Friends!
I'm very thrilled to share my newest recording, which comes as a 200th birthday tribute to Clara Wieck Schumann, and was featured in yesterday's wonderful New York Times article about Clara's creative legacy.

Lara Downes
(Christine DiPasquale, New York Times)


She was one of my earliest inspirations (anyone who ever was a little girl with pianist dreams will relate!) and I'm so happy to honor her spectacular legacy as both a composer and pianist. The album features her Three Romances, Op. 11, as well as Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto, Op. 54, composed at Clara's insistence and with her collaboration, and meant as a vehicle for her pianistic brilliance. 

The Grammy award-winning San Francisco Ballet Orchestra collaborated with me on this recording, made at Skywalker Sound with Adam Abeshouse producing. The album comes out on Clara's 200th birthday, Sept. 13, but you can pre-order it nowand you can enjoy this pre-release music video, available exclusively on Apple Music! I hope you love this record as much as I loved making it.

If you're in the New York area, please join me at National Sawdust on Clara's birthday, September 13, for a very special album launch concert celebrating this recording and 

200 years of women in music! I'll be joined by some of my very favorite ladies: Simone Dinnerstein, Bridget Kibbey, Magos Herrera and Clemency Burton-Hill of WQXR.
I think Clara would be tickled pink. 

And wherever you are, I hope I'll see you very soon out on the road! You can stay up to speed and in touch on my website and follow my travels on Instagram.
Sending my warmest wishes-
Lara


No comments: