Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Lara Downes: Florence Price premieres in Washington, DC this Saturday!

Holes in the Sky
Lara Downes & Friends
Sony Masterworks


   Lara Downes and Rhiannon Giddens star in "Holes in the Sky." 
(Courtesy Areon Mobasher)

Lara Downes writes:

Hi Bill,
I hope this is finding you very well!
I wanted to let you know that I'm honored to be performing three world premieres of newly-discovered works by Florence Price this Saturday at Washington Performing Arts. 

These pieces are beautiful!! One of them is featured as the opening track on my new Sony Masterworks recording Holes in the Sky.

I'm so grateful to Dr. John Michael Cooper of Southwestern University  for these new editions, and for his partnership in advocacy for the phenomenal music of FP!

This program also features a new transcription of an amazing original work by Hazel Scott (!) and pieces by Margaret Bonds, Nina Simone, and Billie Holiday. Quite the ladies' night...

All my best to you,
Lara

No comments: