Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Clipper Erickson: New reviews of "My Cup Runneth Over, the complete piano works of R. Nathaniel Dett"

R. Nathaniel Dett: MY CUP RUNNETH OVER
Navona Records NV 6013 (2015)

 is profiled at AfriClassical.comwhich 
features a comprehensive Works List 
and a Bibliography by Dr. Dominique-René de Lerma 


American Record Guide reviews "My Cup Runneth Over - the complete piano works of R. Nathaniel Dett", following Gramophone UK's recognition of this "historically and musically important release" as an editor's choice.

"This is some of the most enjoyable, stylistically 
 varied, and individual music I've heard in a 
while.  I can't think of any music-loving friend I 
wouldn't recommend it to.  Erickson, a student 
 of John Ogdon, is simply a fabulous pianist, the 
perfect guide to Dett."  


Check out my interview on My Cup 
Runneth Over on the Fugueforthought blog at:

"...some would argue that forgotten music is 
forgotten because it should be, and that what 
stands as the mainstays of concert hall 
repertoires is the best of the best, what's 
floated to the top, but I don't buy that. 
Things like racial prejudice, politics, privilege 
and all the rest get in lots of people's ways.  
You decide.  But go buy My Cup Runneth 
Over before you decide to get another set of 
Mozart sonatas."


Podcast at:


No comments: