Friday, January 13, 2017

Jessie Montgomery: New Year, New Vision, New Music; Joplin's Opera "Treemonisha"; Alabama Symphony; Intermission Retreat; Loisaida Collaborative

New Year, New Vision, New Music...
So, I'm not going to say anything about politics...EXCEPT that given our current state of the union, I have been charged more than ever with the motivation to strengthen my output, experiment and collaborate. I keep meeting new musicians and artists almost every day who are ready to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN, and continue to be inspired and motivated by my long standing relationships with friends and colleagues alike. Those are the things that cannot be taken away in this world. This town has been so good to me, and I know that our community will stay strong in our will to connect and live meaningful and artful lives! (no matter what our billion-dollar-bankrupt puppet tries to do...There, I said it.) Keep on creating!! 



Some Exciting Projects on the Horizon!:


TREEMONISHA - Over the course of this year, I am teaming up with my long-standing colleague and sister/friend, violinist/arranger extraordinaire, Jannina Norpoth, in an all new adaptation of Scott Joplin's groundbreaking opera Treemonisha, produced by Volcano Theatre in Toronto, ON. With a revived libretto by playwright Leah-Simone Bowen, more emphasis is placed on the female characters to enhance Joplin's story of a woman who saves her town through compassion, bravery and intellect. I am SO excited for this and look forward to sharing updates on its development throughout the year.


ALABAMA SYMPHONY - I will officially be in residence with the Alabama Symphony in the 2017-18 season! I look forward to engaging with the orchestra and its community, and sharing news as we develop projects that will engage performers, youth and local organizations in Birmingham.

FOR ALL UPCOMING EVENTS, links to audio and sheet music, please visit my website



As always, thank you for your support and I hope to see you very soon!


-Jessie


RETREAT NEWS!
You should know about this! INTERMISSION is a new retreat, founded by awesome colleagues/friends Elena Urioste and Melissa White. For one week in Vermont, musicians come together to learn and strengthen the connection between yoga and music practice. More info and applications can be found here!


LOISAIDA COLLABORATIVE
My music project will be picking up steam come the spring. A new program featuring new music I have been working on over the past year will be performed in a workshop setting on the Lower East Side. Stay tuned for updates! Link to our December 29th, 2015 performance.

Retweeted
By pierre ruhe (@pierreruhe)

No comments: