Monday, August 31, 2009

Who publishes the piano music of Arthur Cunningham (1928-1997), African American Composer?

[The Piano Music of Arthur Cunningham; John Ellis, piano; Equilibrium 65 (2004)]

Arthur Cunningham (1928-1997) was an African American composer of jazz and classical music. He is profiled at AfriClassical.com.
The Piano Music of Arthur Cunningham, Equilibrium 65 (2004), was recorded by John Ellis, Professor of Piano and Associate Professor of Piano Pedagogy at the University of Michigan. A visitor to AfriClassical.com has requested information on the published piano works of Arthur Cunningham:

"Hello,
I came across your web site while looking for piano music by African American composers. I really liked the pieces I heard written by Arthur Cunningham and have been searching for where his piano music is published. As a pianist I would like to perform some of them. Do you know who I could contact that would know which publisher I should contact, or where I could get legal copies? I would very much appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you!”

The final topic on the Arthur Cunningham page at AfriClassical.com is “Cunningham's Works” by Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma of Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. The list compiled by Dr. De Lerma includes the publisher for each work which has been published. The majority of the published works are published by the Theodore Presser Company.
These include Concentrics, Night Song and Ostrich Feathers, for example. We hope others will follow the example of the visitor and play the many and varied works for piano of Arthur Cunningham!






No comments: