Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Lara Downes: "Reflections: Scott Joplin Reconsidered"


Happy New Year my dear friends! I hope this greeting finds you healthy, safe and warm despite the extreme nature of the news and the weather.


On my mind at the start of this new year:

REFLECTIONS
My upcoming album REFLECTIONS: Scott Joplin Reconsidered looks back, with the perspective I've gained on my journeys through the landscape of American music, to explore the historical and cultural crossroads where Joplin's artistry originated, and to celebrate his innovations in shaping the future of the American sound.

The first single, Reflection Rag, is out now! Stream it wherever you listen to music, and pre-order the full album HERE (release date 2/4/22).

I hope this record will surprise you with new insights into Joplin's musical world. Did you learn The Entertainer when you were a kid?? I've reimagined it here as an intimate duet with the fabulous mandolinist Joe Brent. I'm especially thrilled to share with you the world premiere recording, featuring my recently-Grammy-nominated friend Will Liverman, of the heartbreaking ballad A Picture of Her Face; and the Brooklyn Youth Chorus brings a breath of fresh air to music from Joplin's opera Treemonisha. Come for your favorite tunes, and stay for some new discoveries!

No comments: