Sunday, October 18, 2020

Kelly Hall-Tompkins: I will be guest host on WQXR this Thursday evening at 7pm!


I hope this email finds you well and enjoying the beauty of fall.  I remain so very grateful that even in such challenging times I am flourishing with many meaningful and creative projects.  Among those, I am happy to share with you that I will be guest host on WQXR this Thursday evening at 7pm!   I will be sharing a program of some of my favorite works, artists and recordings, so I hope you'll tune in.  To listen live on their website, just go to wqxr.org or click the image above.
On a personal note, I must say it hit me hard that day. I sometimes practice my scales in front of the news, so I had my violin in my hands when the mirror reflection in front of me on the tv was a slight, affable young man also holding his violin. He was on tv because we were learning that a year before, he had been killed by the police, this gentle soul who apparently used to go to the local animal shelter and play for the kittens so they wouldn’t be lonely. Millions around the world have been affected by his untimely death and among those is my friend, composer Ellen Taaffe Zwilich. She called me deeply upset by this news and in shock and catharsis we’ve talked about it on several occasions. She wanted to do something in honor of him and the result is this piece. I’m deeply honored that Ellen wrote the piece for me and I premiered it on October 8th for the Eastman School of Music’s Virtual Event on Diversity and Inclusion. Ellen Taaffe Zwilich and I humbly offer this piece and performance in memory of Elijah McClain.  Please see below for the video.
I have a third premiere coming up on November 6th for a very exciting collaboration and a piece written by me!!  Please stay tuned!
It was a very unique experience for me to participate as a panelist for the Advertising Week Global Conference.  The panel was comprised of business leaders Beverly Johnson, Jecelyn Taylor and Courtney Arrington-Baldwin and myself, lead by Myrdith Leon-McCormack.  Video coming soon.
Also below are some other recent and upcoming appearances.  It's inspiring to be part of so many wonderful and creative endeavors which persevere in challenging times.  Let us all find inspiration wherever we can, stay positive and look to the future.
Thank you so much for your interest and warm regards,
Kelly 

New Premiere

"A Little Violin Music in Memory of Elijah McClain"

by Ellen Taaffe Zwilich



ICYMI: Recent Premiere

Recent Premiere for ACO

Inner Compás by Guy Mintus



Advertising Week

Global Conference
Panel Lead by Myrdith Leon-McCormack
Featuring:
Beverly Johnson
Jocelyn Taylor
Courtney Arrington-Baldwin
Kelly Hall-Tompkins






No comments: