Tuesday, November 4, 2014

NewYorkClassicalReview.com: 'Soloman Howard made an excellent debut as the King of Egypt, filling the stage with his booming voice and imposing presence'

Soloman Howard

Eric Conway, D.M.A.:

Hello again,

I received many emails from the Morgan Community who expressed pride in Soloman Howard's Met Debut, but disappointment that they were not there personally to witness Soloman's performance.  Soloman will be playing the role of King in Aida through January 2015!  See link the MET website below for you to attend, see Soloman, and experience the MET!

Knowing that the New York critics wouldn't miss a season premier of a MET production, I looked for a review of Thursday night's performance.  See link and actual review below.  You will note that although the critic was not enthralled with the production, he was quite complimentary in Soloman Howard's singing who stated: "Soloman Howard made an excellent debut as the king of Egypt, filling the stage with his booming voice and imposing presence."

I was so very blessed to have Soloman Howard in my choir during the first four years of my tenure as director of the Morgan State University Choir.  When he was singing in my bass section, I didn't need many more voices to balance out the other sections of my choir.

After reflecting on Soloman Howard, and what he has met to Morgan and to me, I found some video when he was a student at Morgan and when he was my bass soloist in some major works performed by the choir.  Please see two YouTube Links of Soloman when he was a student at Morgan:  

YouTube link to Morgan's 2005 Christmas Concert singing "Thus Saith the Lord" from Handel's Messiah:

YouTube link to Morgan Spring 2008 Concert with Soloman Howard singing "Libera Me" from Faure's Requiem:

Enjoy!

Eric

Link to Met Tickets of Aida:

Link to New York Classical Review:

No comments: