Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wilmer Wise Performs at Baltimore's Morgan State University Sunday, March 22, 2009

[African American Trumpeter Wilmer Wise; Photo from website of The Jazz Museum in Harlem]

AfriClassical wrote about the African American trumpeter Wilmer Wise on Jan. 24, 2009: “Trumpeter Wilmer Wise Performs Works of Hale Smith & Ulysses Kay at Black History Concert”. Today we received word from him of an upcoming performance at Morgan State University: "I left the Baltimore Orchestra in 1970. This is my first time back in Baltimore since then. I am participating in an orchestra conducted by Theodore Thorpe, a very exciting conductor. I am looking forward to the concert that will performed at Morgan State University on March 22. I was a member of that school's faculty in 1965. Wilmer Wise” 

“He also studied formally, at the Philadelphia Conservatory of Music and the Manhattan School of Music. In 1965, he became the first Black trumpeter to join the Philadelphia Orchestra, who showcased him on the Haydn Trumpet Concerto in 1965, the same year he met fellow Philadelphia trumpet legend, Joe Wilder, also a former Harlem Speaks guest of honor. Wilder is respected in the music industry for his jazz and classical chops. He always encouraged the younger Wise. He also performed with the Baltimore Symphony for many years, while also teaching at Morgan State College in Baltimore.”





1 comment:

Wilmer Wise said...

What I meant to say is that I left the Baltimore Orchestra in 1970. This is my first back in Baltimore since then.