Sunday, May 22, 2016

CMW Senior Spotlight: Orianda; End-Of-Year Student Gala! Tuesday, May 24 at 6pm, Providence Career and Technical Academy, Providence, Rhode Island

Orianda

Community MusicWorks

May 11, 2016

As we enter the countdown to the end of the school year we are getting ready to congratulate our graduating seniors and wish them farewell.  Today on the blog CMW Fellow Josie Davis talks with senior violin student Orianda about her time at CMW.

How old were you when you started playing the violin with CMW?

I started playing violin in December 2014 when I was fifteen.

What is your favorite CMW memory?

My favorite CMW memory was working on the end of the year performance with the All-Play day ensembles. I remember looking around the room and seeing how concentrated everyone was, and committed to the parts they were playing.  It was also a fun experience to meet other CMW students and practice as a group.
   
How has music and CMW shaped your life?

Music and the performing arts have played a big role in my life. It has made me more driven and has allowed me to perform and meet amazing artists in the community. While I haven’t been playing violin for as long as a lot of students who are part of CMW, in the short period of time that I’ve been a part of the program, I have improved so much in my sight reading and musicianship. Being part of the CMW community has made me better not only in violin but has helped me become a better guitarist and bassist.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation I plan on enrolling full time at Rhode Island College to pursue a career in Music Education so that I can work with young, aspiring artists like myself. I feel that I still have a lot to learn and that’s why I want to continue music instead of stopping after I graduate.

How do you think music will play into your life in the future?

Music will always be a big part of my life no matter where I am. I hope to continue to learn while working with other musicians.  I’m not sure whats going to happen in the future but I’m sure of one thing and it’s that music will always be part of my life especially as I go into college.

Please join us for music and food as we celebrate the end of the year, our graduating seniors, and all of our students’ hard work at the End-of-Year Student Gala!


No comments: