The Sphinx Organization is proud to announce SPA 2015!
The Sphinx Performance Academy will be held at two locations, Roosevelt University July 4th - July 18th, 2015 (Saturday to Saturday) and Oberlin Conservatory July 19th - August 2nd, 2015 (Sunday to Sunday). The Sphinx Performance Academy is a full-scholarship intensive chamber music and solo performance program designed for aspiring Black and Latino string players, ages 12-17, who demonstrate aptitude toward but lack the resources for and access to quality music education. Students participate in a rigorous private lesson and coachings schedule, in addition to daily monitored practice sessions, masterclases and performances.
The acclaimed Catalyst Quartet, Sphinx’s premiere chamber ensemble, will serve as Senior Faculty for both sessions. Private lesson instruction will be provided by Resident Faculty, comprised of top alumni of the Sphinx Competition.
Application Deadline is Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm EST
No late submissions will be accepted past the deadline. Technical difficulty will not serve as an exception to the deadline. You are encouraged to begin your applicant material preparation well in advance of the deadline. The SPA Review Committe will review each application and notify each applicant by Friday, May 8th, 2015, after which, each accepted participant will be required to fill out additional paperwork, due on Friday, May 15th, 2015.
Eligible Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello Participants must be 12-17 years of age Participants must be U.S. citizens or legal resident Participants must be Black or Latino/a descent. At least one of the parents of the applicant must identify themselves as Black (African, Haitian, African-American, Black Hispanic) or Latino (countries of descent include Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and those of Central and South America, not including Spain).
Online Application Requirements:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Full Repertorie List
3. Personal Statement - At least 30 words expressing why you feel you should participate in this program
4. High Resolution Headshot (Mininum 300 dpi)
5. Scanned copy of birth certificate
6. No registration fee is required. A $50 deposit is required if accepted into the program. This deposit will be returned upon successful conclusion of the program.
Audition Video Requirement
1. 3-octave scale of your choice
2. A piece of your choice Each video file should contain only one piece. Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos. Videos uploaded must be smaller than one gigabyte in size. The following file types are supported:
- AVI (preferred)
- Quicktime (.mov)
- MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg)
- Windows Media (.wmv)
- Flash Video (.flv, .f4v)
Repertoire List and High Resolution Headshot Requirements
- File Types Supported:
- PDF (preferred)
- Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls)
- Microsoft Office 2007: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx)
- Open Office (.odt, .ott)
- Images (.jpg, .gif)
- Other Formats (.html, .xhtml, .txt, .rtf, .latex)
- Please note that .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as .doc, .ppt or .xls respectively before uploading.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program. Room and board is included in both locations for the two-week camps and each student is responsible for transportation to and from the program. Ground transportation is provided to and from the airport for students who are flying. Ground transportation will be covered for students only.
Sample Daily Schedule at the Sphinx Performance Academy (subject to change)
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-12:00 pm Individual practice and private lessons
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-3:00 pm Chamber coachings and practice
3:00-3:15 pm Break
3:30-5:30 pm Chamber coachings and practice
5:30-6:30 pm Dinner
7:00-9:00 pm Performances, master classes and team building activties