Friday, June 17, 2011

Press-Telegram: 'Soprano Graves to bring signature pieces and more to Juneteenth recital'

[Denyce Graves (Press-Telegram)]

By Greg Mellen
Staff Writer
Posted 06/16/2011
“Fans of Denyce Graves will certainly hear some of her signature pieces from operas such as 'Carmen' and 'Samson et Dalila.' But the internationally renowned mezzo-soprano will bring something else to her Juneteenth Worldwide recital Sunday at the Terrace Theater in Long Beach.
And don't be surprised if she goes completely off the menu.

"'We remain open to adding pieces in commemoration of the day,' Graves said, noting that the Juneteenth date gives the performance added importance. Although she hasn't decided what that might be, Graves said she hopes to add something that celebrates 'the significant level of maturity and dignity African Americans have come through.'

“About having her recital connected with Juneteenth, Graves said, 'I think it is a great idea and I'm proud to be a part of it.' Juneteenth commemorates the announcement of the abolition of slavery in Texas in 1865.” “For her part, Graves said it is all about honoring your heritage and history and leaving something for those to come. 'I owe the blood in my veins to people I have never met, these great godmothers I don't even know,' Graves said. 'I am lucky that I have the opportunity to pay that forward.'"

No comments: