Sunday, August 22, 2010

'You can't imagine how grateful and gleeful I felt stumbling on your page dedicated to Ludovic Lamothe.'


[Ludovic Lamothe; Fleurs d`Haiti, 10 Selections de Piano par Ludovic Lamothe Compositeur; Disques Victor]

Ludovic Lamothe (1882-1953) is a composer and pianist who is a leading figure in the history of Haitian Classical Music. His skill as a performer led to the nickname "A Black Chopin." The pianist Charles P. Phillips has recorded an entire CD of Lamothe's works for piano, A Vision of Ludovic Lamothe, which is available at http://CDBaby.com/cd/cpphillips This is an excerpt from an email received this week on the Ludovic Lamothe page at AfriClassical.com:

I'm a student of redaction at U of Montreal, but really of composition at its music faculty. I decided to change majors for a while to later finish my music bachelor's degree in 'techniques d'écriture' (same curriculum as the composition program, but I chose not to have creative classes; only theory, counterpoint, harmony, etc).

“I'd heard Lamothe's music performed by others all my life, but never by the man himself; thanks for the Megaupload link!! Though my music studies are on ice, I'm still writing and recording. One of the songs I rearranged for an upcoming studio session is a Lamothe. I wanted to read a bit on his life and oeuvre, and thus fell upon your website.”

No comments: