Thursday, April 26, 2018

Kelly Hall-Tompkins: Fiddler at Feinstein's and Photos from Cincinnati Symphony


Kelly Hall-Tompkins writes:

Fiddler Solo Show at Feinstein's 54 Below

Happy Spring- finally!  Though I enjoyed all the beautiful March snows, spring is definitely my favorite season.  And what a wonderful start to the spring - in Cincinnati as the Inaugural Guest Artist in Residence.  I was so warmly welcomed in the community from the moment I boarded the plane, from composer Douglas Knehans, to the moment I landed, from conductor John Morris Russell, from the president of the orchestra Jonathan Martin, Nate Bachhuber, Charmaine Moore and Ahmad Mayes, the CSO musicians, the press - everyone during my residency was just wonderful!  What a rich and fulfulling week meeting and working with members of the Cincinnati Symphony, working with Cincinnati Conservatory and arts high school students, meeting so many members of the community and appearing on local media channels.  It was especially exciting to premiere our new narration adaptation for the Stravinsky Soldier's Tale at the City Gospel Mission Homeless Shelter and repeat it at the main public concert.  I am thrilled by how well it was received in both venues and I want to thank the Cincinnati Symphony, for making my crazy commission idea happen, and for the brilliant work of writer Brian Robertson and actor/narrator Daryl Harris.  The CSO, the orchestra that gave the U.S. premiere of Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man," was a perfect partner with whom to celebrate 'the common man and woman's' triumph over difficulty through our new adaptation of the Tale. (please see below for photos.  Please subscribe to Music Kitchen- Food for the Soul mailing list for shelter concert photos)
And of course, I am excited to tour my wonderful new Fiddler program to venues far and wide, both in Cincinnati and coming up on May 30th in New York City's premiere Broadway nightclub, Feinstein's 54 Below! I love that through my Fiddler project I am 'expanding' not only 'tradition' but also to reach new audiences! I've already played bits of my Fiddler program at the U.S. Supreme Court, with orchestras in New York, New Hampshire and California, in London live on BBC Radio, in 6 homeless shelters across New York City and Los Angeles, next season at Princeton University, Merkin Concert Hall, Tribeca Rooftop, recitals in North Carolina, Florida and Kiev, Ukraine, and now I'm looking forward to offering a full program at Feinstein's 54 Below! Very exciting to see this project come to life and take off!  I hope to see you on May 30th for Fiddler at Feinstein's- For a special $5 discount code, please scroll above or below.  Thank you so much for your interest in my career and Happy Spring!
L'Chaim,
Kelly

No comments: