Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Lara Downes: Happy Spring! SIMPLE GIFTS with Yo-yo and Lenny

May 22, 2017

Lara Downes writes:

Dear Friends,
 

Exactly one month ago today - on my birthday! - I spent a beautiful morning in Ann Arbor making this beautiful video with two artists who inspire me to the ends of the earth: Yo-Yo Ma and Aaron Dworkin. 
Yo-Yo, Aaron and I are advocating for the arts as a unifying force in our world, celebrating the power and purpose of the arts in our American life.
Now more than ever, I'm so grateful that my work as an artist allows me the opportunity to support community, start conversations, create understanding and unity. I see the very real and essential transformative power of music every day in my travels around America, and it keeps me going and growing!
My newest project takes inspiration from one of the greatest arts advocates in the history of American music. FOR LENNY is a tribute to Leonard Bernstein on the 100th anniversary of his birth. I'm performing and recording Bernstein's music together with new pieces I've commissioned to celebrate his centennial - from composers like John Corigliano, Stephen Sondheim, and many more.
And I'm raising funds for a community outreach tour to bring this music, and its message of unity through the arts, to underserved audiences throughout America. Please join me and support this project on Kickstarter. I'll be very grateful for your help. 
 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inthegreenroom/anniversaries-for-lenny-new-music-for-bernstein-at?ref=creator_nav

Lenny said it best!
"Art cannot change events. But it can change people. It can affect people so that they are changed…" - Leonard Bernstein

This....I believe.  




Thank you for being my friends! Thank you for believing in music and the arts, and fighting the good fight.
I hope to see you very soon out on the road!
Sending love!
Lara
PS: Here are some of my recent adventures, from my podcast diary. 




Comment by email:
Thank you so much Bill, this is great! Best, L [Lara Downes]

No comments: