Friday, December 16, 2016

George I. Shirley: John Nix: I am spearheading an effort called "America Sings Together on Martin Luther King Day" for people to sing "Amazing Grace" at 11 AM

George I. Shirley

Martin Luther King, Jr.

P
​lease pass this along and join in on MLK Day in January, wherever you may be!

A Blessed Yuletide and New Year to all!​

George I. Shirley

The J. Edgar Maddy Distinguished
University Emeritus Professor of Music (Voice)
University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance
734 417-3079 / 763-5097 fax

Please consider supporting aspiring young singers with tax-deductible donations to the following:

The George Shirley Voice Scholarship at 

The George Shirley African American Art Song and Operatic Aria Competition at www.videmus.org/index.php?fwa=georgeShirley


John Nix writes:

Hello, Professor Shirley,

I hope this note finds you doing well! 

I was hoping you could help me out with a project.  I am spearheading an effort called America Sings Together on Martin Luther King Day. I hope through your contacts in Detroit and around the country that you can help spread the word in for people to join together at 11:00 AM on Martin Luther King Day (Monday, January 16, 2017), and sing the traditional hymn, "Amazing Grace." The intent of this nationwide effort is to honor Dr. King's legacy and to spread a sense of community in the Americas. I hope you can help me by spreading the word to friends, churches, community organizations, and through Social Media. We want to have the whole nation singing together at that time!  I am also working through NATS, NYSTA, and ACDA on this project – but we need leaders in each city to help spread the word.

Please visit and share the link for this event on Facebook, which can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1620391364933306/

Thank you! Have a wonderful holiday, and I hope to “hear” you singing on January 16th!

John Nix
Associate Professor of Voice
University of Texas-San Antonio

No comments: