Saturday, May 7, 2016

On May 4, 2016, Givonna Joseph, founder of OperaCréole, performed "From The Diary of Sally Hemings" at Marigny Opera House, New Orleans

The New Orleans Advocate: Photo by Cedric Ellsworth -- Givonna Joseph, center, shown with Dara Rahming, left, and and Ebonee Davis of OperaCreole, sings 'From the Diary of Sally Hemings.'

Dr. Wilfred Delphin, piano 
Givonna Joseph, mezzo soprano

Givonna Joseph, Juanita Caiton & Aria Mason

Givonna Joseph writes:

Dear Mr. Zick,


It is my tradition to dedicate any concerts that come up in May to my late Mother.
But, this year, in celebration of my milestone birthday (the day before), I scheduled this recital to not only honor her, but all the great women in my life and unsung mothers. So I thought I should also honor great mothers in history like Sally Hemings! 


Dr. Wilfred Delphin, was a great partner to perform the excerpts from the work with.
I love that Ms. Seaton's text includes some of Thomas Jeffersons words and writings, and accounts from their son Madison's memoirs. 

The program also included arias, art songs, hymns and spirituals. The Schubert Ave Maria, was sung en CrêoleH.Leslie Adams' "Creole Girl", and the "I knew why you were coming" scene from William Grant Still's Minette Fontaine also rounded out the program. 
Special guests on the program included Ebonee Davis, soprano, and my daughter Aria Mason, mezzo-soprano. 

Here is my interview from our daily newspaper: 



This [third]  picture is with my daughter Aria, and my 84 year old Godmother/cousin, Juanita Caiton, whom I honored in the printed program. My daughter surprised me with a birthday party after! 

All praises to our ancestral mothers, and Happy Mother's Day to your readers! 

Thank you, 
Givonna

Givonna Joseph
Founder and Director, OperaCréole

www.operacreole.com
www.givonnajoseph.webs.com

Comment by email:
Dear Bill, Thanks so much for posting the photos and news from Givonna Joseph's performance. I will share it on my Facebook page. Take care and thanks, Sandra  [Sandra Seaton]

No comments: