Monday, May 16, 2016

Michael S. Wright on Cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason on BBC: "It was an electrifying performance." "I believe that Sheku took the Cadenza – Attacca to new heights."

On May 15, 2016 AfriClassical posted:

Sergio Mims: The Guardian: Cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason wins 2016 BBC Young Musician award [performed Shostakovich’s Cello Concerto No.1 to scoop prize]

Michael S. Wright comments:
Yes, It was an electrifying performance. The concerto was written for Mstislav Rostropovich and I have an old recording made by him and the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. However, I believe that Sheku took the Cadenza – Attacca to new heights. It was simply sublime, one of those very rare musical moments. Unless I am very much mistaken, we have a new world star of the 'cello. Please pass on my appreciation.
Kind regards
Mike

No comments: