Friday, March 25, 2016

Biographer Gabriel Banat: I am attaching the Duet No. 2 for Two Violins in E-flat Major, the only intact copy of Saint-Georges' three duets in my possession.

The Chevalier de Saint-Georges: Virtuoso of the Sword and the Bow
by Gabriel Banat
Pendragon Press (2006)

Le Chevalier de Saint-Georges (1745-1799)
is featured at AfriClassical.com

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2.jpeg


St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 1.jpeg

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 2.jpeg

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 3.jpeg

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 4.jpeg

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 5.jpeg


St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 7.jpeg

St. Georges 2 violin Son 2 8.jpeg

Nick Akers of the Pacific Music Festival Organizing Committee writes from Sapporo, Japan:

Dear Mr. Zick,

I am searching the globe for a set of 6 sonatas for 2 violins by Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges.  I find references to them here and there, but thus far (many months) I have come up with no empirical evidence that they even exist.

I apologize for the random contact, but: any information you may be able to offer on where to obtain these sonatas, or who might know where to obtain them, or really any information at all concerning them, would be sincerely appreciated.

My thanks, and best wishes from snowy northern Japan,

Nick Akers

We copied the request to a few people we felt might be able to assist. One individual was Gabriel Banat, author of the biography of Le Chevalier de Saint-Georges which is pictured above.  He has graciously replied:

Hello Bill,
In response to your cc to me re: Nick Akers of 3/22/16, in the absence of his e-mail address, I am attaching the duet No. 2 for two violins in e-flat major, the only intact copy of Saint-Georges' three duets in my possession.  Lacking an opus number or publisher, based solely on its musical imprint, I do consider it a work by Saint Georges.  I hope you won't mind my asking you to pass it on to your correspondent.

Wishing you a Happy Easter, 
Gabriel Banat

Comment by email:
Dear Bill, This is fantastic, and so exciting! Thank you so, so much. I think everyone in your Cc list received annoying emails from me :)  I will keep digging! My best to you all, Nick Nick Akers

No comments: