Friday, October 30, 2015

FredO: Dom has been longtime board member of African Musical Arts. He was many things to us: mentor, advisor, fatherly figure, and friend.

Dominique-René S. de Lerma

Fred Onovwerosuoke, <http://fredomusic.com> writes:

On  October 5, 2015, our departed genius, Dom emailed Wendy and I, thus:

"Dominique Rene de Lerma" <dsl@casamusicaledelerma.com> wrote:
I need to let you two know I’m off for the hospital tomorrow for a biopsy (cancer likely).  I’ll be back home after a few days and back to work.  This might delay my reference on your behalf.

Shortly afterwards we went off to fulfill engagements in Dubai and then Nashville. Upon our return over the weekend I quickly emailed him to find out how he was doing after what we thought was 'routine' hospital stint. Not knowing that our venerable, quintessential scholar of black and African-descent composers, incomparable giant of musicology, the great Professor Dominique-Rene de Lerma had departed. Dom has been longtime board member of the African Musical Arts organization. He was many things to us: mentor, advisor, fatherly figure, and friend. His is a void that will be difficult to fill.

Peace his soul now rest,
Fredo & Wendy
7:26 PM (1 hour ago)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fredo <fredo@fredomusic.com>
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Subject: Re:
To: "Dominique René S. de Lerma" <dsl@casamusicaledelerma.com>

That must be reason I had nudging thoughts of you over the weekend. Actually got sidetracked from penning you an email this morning.
Dom, I will be praying for fairer health for you. You least worry about me, dear friend.
Perfect peace for you,
Devotedly, F.

On Oct 5, 2015 6:53 PM, "Dominique Rene de Lerma" <dsl@casamusicaledelerma.com> wrote:
I need to let you two know I’m off for the hospital tomorrow for a biopsy (cancer likely).  I’ll be back home after a few days and back to work.  This might delay my reference on your behalf.

No comments: