Sergio A. Mims: Anthony Parnther is a KCET-TV Nominee for Local Heroes for Black History Month 2015
"Anthony communicates through music. He uses the tool of the orchestra to make us feel. He introduces us to black composers who make us feel the pain and joys of their lives. He conducts the classics with power and can make us come to tears."- Nominator Patricia Bastis, Musician
2015 Black History Month Local Heroes nominee
Organization/Business Southeast Symphony
- Music Director and Conductor of the historic Southeast Symphony based in Inglewood, CA. Established in 1948, the Southeast Symphony is the oldest predominantly African-American orchestra in the world and one of the most culturally diverse symphonic institutions in America.
- The Southeast Symphony was founded to provide training and performance experience for African-Americans at a time when they were denied the opportunity elsewhere. In addition to playing concerts for the diverse cultural communities of Los Angeles, the orchestra is a training ground for many African-American musicians who aspire to perform orchestral music and who seek other opportunities in the music industry.
- Has conducted orchestras throughout the U.S. and internationally in virtually all mediums - Symphonic, Opera, Pops, Chamber, Ballet, Contemporary, & in Hollywood Studio sessions for motion pictures & video games including the most played video game on earth - League of Legends - which has presented sold out concerts at Staples Center in Los Angeles & the World Cup Stadium in Seoul, South Korea
- Has passionately advocated for & premiered new works by living composers of African descent including Emmy-winning John Wineglass, Gary Powell Nash, Marian Harrison, Renee Baker, Adolphus Hailstork, & bringing renewed attention to black female composers like Zenobia Powell Perry, Margaret Bonds & Florence Price.
- Committed to today's youth, Anthony serves as conductor for the Young Musicians Choral Orchestra (YMCO) whose mission is to use high quality, intensive, musical training, academic support, and personal guidance to improve the lives of talented, low-income students, ages 9-18, from throughout the Bay Area. YMCO services are provided at no cost.
- Prior to the Southeast Symphony, served as Music Director and Conductor of the Orange County Symphony in Anaheim, California & the Inland Valley Symphony in Temecula, CA. In 2008 he founded the critically acclaimed Orange County Wind Symphony which was invited to perform at Carnegie Hall & Established the popular "Symphony on Birch Street" 3-day annual OC summer festival.
Comment by email:
Best to Anthony. Several years ago, jazz pianist Billy Mitchell founded SAAPA (Scholarship Audition Performance Preparatory Academy) and was the KCET Local Hero. Billy is a former board member of Southeast Symphony. See http://www.kcet.org/socal/local_heroes/bhm/billy-mitchell.html Thanks, John [John Malveaux]