Monday, July 28, 2014

John Malveaux recounts plans for the Roy Harris Symphony 'for the 1980 Summer Olympic Games'

Roy Harris

“The Politics of Music-Part 2”
John Malveaux
July 28, 2014


In 1978- 9, I offered American composer Roy Harris 
a commission to write a symphony for me. After 
some thought and asking me a few questions, Roy 
Harris said he did not know what to write about 
me and he was presently committed to write a 
symphony and his age may be a challenge.  Roy 
Harris shared that the Soviet Union Olympic 
Committee asked him to write a symphony for the 
opening of the 1980 Summer Olympics Games in 
Moscow that would receive an international 
broadcast. He somewhat apologetically asked if I 
would accept the symphony he would write for 
the 1980 Summer Olympic Games as my requested 
commissioned work. I asked my attorney, Martin 
Blank Jr., to prepare an agreement. Roy Harris and 
I signed the agreement.

During my final visit with Roy Harris in a Santa 
Monica Hospital, the score was on a table near his 
bedside. Roy Harris did not complete the symphony.
The name of the score suggested a reference to me.

I subsequently contacted the United States Olympic 
Committee with the idea for me to organize a 
concert honoring Roy Harris featuring the New York 
Philharmonic Orchestra at Lincoln Center Avery 
Fisher Hall. The concert would be a “good will” 
gesture to the Soviet Union Olympic Committee and 
a fundraiser for the USOC. After discussion and 
reaching mutual agreement with the USOC, I asked 
my attorney, Martin Blank Jr., to prepare the 
agreement. Colonel R. Don Miller, Director of 
Fundraising for the USOC and I signed the agreement.  
AT&T was suggested as a potential sponsor by 
the USOC. I met with two AT&T executives but 
did not reach an agreement and a second meeting 
was scheduled to continue the planning.

While our USOC team was enjoying unexpected 
victories during the Winter Games in Lake Placid, I 
received an unexpected telephone call at the 
Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Colonel R. Don Miller said
the USOC will be unable to complete the contract 
with me because “President Carter will announce 
a boycott of 1980 Summer Games TOMORROW.

No comments: