Friday, June 14, 2013

Patrick D. McCoy on DailySingle.com: 'One of my biggest interests is introducing emerging African-American performers in the realm of classical music.'

Daily Single

Patrick D. McCoy is a 35 year old Arts Journalist. He lives in Hyattsville, Maryland, United States.
DS: How did you hear about Dailysingle? What are you expecting from being on the front page?

Patrick D. McCoy: I was introduced to the publication through a colleague who initially thought that it may be a good way to introduce some of my own writing.
DS: What are the most memorable years of your life and what happened to make them so memorable?

Patrick D. McCoy: 1995: During my senior year of high school was the time that I really started to see my potential or having a career in music. My chorus teacher Donna Lundy was very instrumental in that and prepared me to sing my first classical piece for a vocal competition. It was also my Math teacher, Ben Dyer inviting me to attend church with him that I met one of the most influential mentors of my musical development, Dr. James F. Peak, Jr. 1998: I was the first student to perform a student recital in new recital hall of the newly built music building at Virginia State University. It was a thrilling moment to mark history in the life of that music department with such a performance. 2000: I graduated from Virginia State University and later that year was hired to teach music at Peabody Middle School. That was such a full circle moment, because Gail Alexander who was my 8th grade Civics teacher now was the principal of the same school that she taught me in. Sadly, she recently passed.

...


Patrick D. McCoy: I am very determined. I am the type of person that will do something over and over again until I get it right. I am dependable. Most of all, I am very direct. There are not too many things that I will back down from and I love a challenge.
DS: What are the must-haves in your daily wardrobe?

Patrick D. McCoy: Bowties of many different colors, patterns and sizes. Shined shoes.  A variety of nicely tailored suits
DS: Who do people tell you you look like?

Patrick D. McCoy: When I was in graduate school at Shenandoah Conservatory, I was out with friends on Saint Patrick's Day one year and got the royal treatment from the waitstaff and even strangers. Finally, a person came over and asked me for my autograph. Apparrently, they thought I was George Huff, who was one of the contestants that year on American Idol.
DS: How did you end-up being an Arts Journalist?

Patrick D. McCoy: I did some writing occasionally for an online website called ArtSong Update, which published quite a few of my earlier reviews. It really was not a thought to pursue it seriously until I stopped teaching music full time. I found myself having a lot more time on my hands and began to write. But I think the real catalyst was being invited by Examiner.com to write content on classical music concerts in the D.C. area. My work began to get cited by The Washington Chorus, after reviewing their concerts. Others ensembles started to seek me out and extend invitations for me to review their concerts. Since then, my writing has blossomed into a myriad of opportunities. Just last year, I was named the performing arts columnist for Washington Life Magazine.
DS: Can you tell us more about your job?

Patrick D. McCoy: Currently, I hold the distinction of being one of the youngest African American critics in the arena of the performing arts. My outings take me to countless performances in Washington, D. C., as well as nationally. Reporting on the arts for Washington Life Magazine has given me the opportunity to personally meet and interview some of the most acclaimed figures of our time, Norman Scribner, Renée Fleming, Joshua Bell Julian Wachner, among numerous others. I enjoy being able to attend a performance and intelligently reflect on what it is that I just heard, not so much to cut it down but to use my own musical experiences both personal and professional to impart something of use to the performer in my critique. When I have the opportunity to interview subjects, I always make it my business to research them thoroughly. Nothing impresses a person of note more, than when the interviewer unearths an unknown fact in what could have just been an average interview.
DS: Let's talk more about you and your tastes. Any hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time? Any thing you like and recommend?

Patrick D. McCoy: One of my biggest interest is introducing emerging African-American performers in the realm of classical music. In addition to my print work, I host an online show on BlogTalk Radio. Guest have included veteran artists, but I have made it a point to interview some performers who are right on the cusp of huge careers such as baritone Sidney Outlaw. Music is almost always at the center of my free time, but Iove great food, ornate architecture, travel and shopping. Of course, anyone who knows me already know that soprano Kathleen Battle is my favorite singer!

No comments: