Friday, April 20, 2012

'Imani Winds Chamber Music Festival participant Deron Hall' is 'starting the COR Music Project'


    • [Imani Winds]

      Valerie Coleman writes:
      See below-this is what our chamber music festival is all about! 
      Fyi: look out for horn player/2011 Imani Winds Chamber Music Festival participant Deron Hall-he may well be the next MacArthur recipient (or something along those lines)  for starting the COR Music Project. :)
      Valerie

      Valerie Coleman
      Flutist & Founder
      Imani Winds 




      Hi Valerie,
      First, thank you so much for the donation from you and your husband. You can rest assured that it will be put to good use. A big update is coming soon from me. We are adding another school to our roster, and 96 kids have already signed up for music classes....yes we need more people lol. We also secured a partnership with the Cincinnati Opera (who is giving a private concert for us in May!), and a group called concert:nova, which is a consort of Cincinnati Symphony musicians who have agreed to give master classes, lessons, and performances for us. 

      I received a Graduate Research Fellowship from the University of Cincinnati to study replicable intervention and pedagogical strategies using applied music instruction as a catalyst for social change targeting underprivileged communities. I get to compile data from the top community music programs that target kids in high risk situations as well. I'm super excited about this. I want to also present my findings and such eventually.

      So, I wish I was able to afford to attend the festival this summer but of course all of my extra funds have gone to getting COR off the ground. But, I wanted to see if I could come and do a presentation with 2 of my other directors about everything non-profit. I know a huge part of your program is giving back to the community, creating social change, and handling your business in the process, so I definitely think this would be a worthwhile experience for everyone involved. It would essentially be "everything I wish I knew before starting" combined with talks about leverage, non-profit management, and marketing and public relations. 

      COR Music Project is here because of you. Had I not gone to the festival last summer and raised my consciousness about the other realms of music, I would have never had the courage to start up. I would love to be able to give something back to you for all of your support. 

      Hope to hear from you soon,
      Deron

No comments: