Sunday, January 1, 2012

Jan. 15 is World premiere of Act I of Nkeiru Okoye's 'HARRIET TUBMAN: When I Crossed that Line to Freedom'


NkeiruOkoye writes:

Happy New Year, 
Mine is starting with three exciting events to which you are invited:

Sunday, January 15th, will be the world premiere of Act I from HARRIET TUBMAN: When I Crossed that Line to Freedom. The event is a concert staged reading directed by Beth Greenberg of New York City Opera and produced by Downtown Productions. It’s at St. Mark’s in the Bowery, NYC @ 5 pm.
Monday, January 16th, the Philadelphia Orchestra will perform my piece VOICES SHOUTING OUT for their annual Martin Luther King concert at MLK High School in Philadelphia, 3 pm.
Sunday, February 5th, I’ll be hosting “A Ride on the Underground Railroad,” a concert in celebration of African American History Month at Hofstra University. The concert has familiar and newly composed music about the Underground Railroad. Some of our amazing performers are Soprano Diana Solomon-Glover, contralto Nicole Mitchell, tenor Robert Anthony Mack, the internationally touring Hempstead High School Select Chorale, many of my colleagues and students at University, and a special performance by Roy Eaton, the definitive master of Joplin’s Ragtime works. The concert will be at Hofstra University in Hempstead, LI, NY in the John Adams Playhouse. For ticket information, contact the Playhouse Box Office at 516-463-6644.
I hope to see you at some of the events. With my warmest wishes for a
wonder-filled New Year
Nkeiru

No comments: