Thursday, January 5, 2012

Arrangement of 'Adoration' of Florence Price Played by U. of Wisconsin-Whitewater Symphony Orchestra on YouTube


[Florence B. Price; Chicago Renaissance Woman: Florence B. Price Organ Works; Calvert Johnson, organ; Calcante 014 (1997)]

Florence Beatrice Smith Price (1887-1953) is profiled at AfriClassical.com, which features a comprehensive Works List by Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma, http://www.CasaMusicaledeLerma.com   Here is the entry for Adoration:

Adoration, for organ. Dayton: Lorenz Music, 1951. Duration: 3:25.
----- Fayetteville, AR: ClanNan Editions. 1995 (Music of Florence Beatrice Price, vol., 2: Short organ works).
CD: Calvert Johnson, organ (3m Harrison & Harrison; Christ Church, Savannah). Calcante CAL-014 (Chicago Renaissance woman; Florence Price organ works).

A student at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has made an original arrangement of the Florence Price work Adoration (2:15):

Uploaded by Ender1432 on Jan 1, 2012 
I would like to wish everyone a belated Happy New Year. I've been busy with work and composing, but I decided to upload something a little different. I just finished an Arrangement class in college and this was my final project. I picked the piece for many reasons but one of the main ones was to celebrate the life of this amazing woman composer. Originally an organ piece, I arranged it by hand for orchestra and my colleagues at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Symphony Orchestra performed the piece and we were able to record it. I would like to dedicate this arrangement to my girlfriend, who helped me copy parts for individual players and to my arranging instructor for his advice. I would also like to dedicate it to Florence Price and to other amazing women composers. Please remember that I didn't compose the piece and this was merely an arrangement of an already very beautiful piece of music. I only hope that this arrangement honors her memory.”

No comments: