Friday, December 30, 2011

Countertenor Darryl Taylor sings 'Vivi, tiranno!' from Handel's opera 'Rodelinda' on YouTube


[Darryl Taylor, countertenor]

Countertenor Dr. Darryl Taylor is a longtime associate of ours. He has a website at www.darryltaylor.com which includes space for The African-American Art Song Alliance. The Alliance also has a Video Channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/ArtSongAlliance

Sergio Mims is a Classical Music host of radio station WHPK-FM in Chicago. He writes:
"I know that you've mentioned countertenor Darryl Taylor before on your website but have you seen this? I came across this by coincidence. It's of Taylor singing 'Vivi, tiranno!' from Handel's opera Rodelinda,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Sincerely,
Sergio Mims"


Comments by email:
Hi Bill,  Thanks for the promo!  Happy 2012!  Darryl  [Darryl Taylor]

I had not known of Darryl Taylor. As a voice fan--especially of tenors and countertenors--I ordered one of his CDs. Thank you for all the goodies, of which I can partake very few--and enjoy the knowledge.  Gwen  [Gwendoline Y. Fortune]


Nice ….. but I then explored a bit and was totally bowled out by the arrangement of Amazing Grace arr by the late Hale Smith (despite poor sound on you tube) and Sence you Went Away (arr by Leslie Adams) and then I went on to the others.. Could not help being moved to tears. It is my oversight that I have previously only heard Darryl’s performances as tenor.. What an oversight! The CD ‘Love Rejoices’ is now on order from Amazon!!!  [Michael S. Wright]


Leslie's Sence you went away is a really great contribution to the literature.  I think I've said this before.  This may not be my last time.  [Dominique-René de Lerma]

Dear Sergio, et al.  Thanks so much for the positive commentary on my switch to countertenor.  I did this about 5 years ago and am full-time dedicated to the fach.  I've recorded a CD of spirituals for Albany Records in this voice type. You can hear three clips from it on youtube by going here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7fvYDElKg. I hope you enjoy!  All best wishes for a safe and prosperous 2012!  Darryl  [Darryl Taylor]


Good news all around.  HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!  S  [Sergio Mims]


No comments: