Wednesday, February 2, 2011

'CW50's Black History Month Snapshots': 'Aaron Dworkin: Sphinx Organization Founder'


[Aaron Dworkin]

CW50′s Black History Month Snapshots highlight people who have had a positive impact in African American past and present.

“Aaron Dworkin: Sphinx Organization Founder
When speaking with our producers about his history, Dworkin said, 'I’m a violinist. I started when I was five years old.'” “Dworkin went on to explain, 'Kids would often say, “You’re not really black … because ‘black’ wouldn’t be playing the violin.”

“Describing The Sphinx Organization, Dworkin said, '[We're] focused on diversity in classical music.' He explained the importance of his work by stating, 'Blacks and Latinos combined represent less than 4% of America’s orchestras.' Aaron concluded by declaring, 'Without music I really can’t imagine where I would be.'” [Aaron Dworkin (b. 1970) is profiled at AfriClassical.com]

No comments: