Saturday, October 23, 2010

One World Symphony, With Violist Tracey Dixon, in Halloween Program 'Danse Macabre Faust' in NYC Oct. 29 & 31

[One World Symphony Violist Tracey Dixon with daughter Mackenzie]

Adrienne Metzinger sends us a profile of Tracey Dixon, violist with the One World Symphony:
“One World Symphony violist Tracey Dixon is a freelance violist and violin/viola teacher in New York City. She has a B.M. in Viola Performance from Brooklyn College. She has studied under the tutelage of Masao Kawasaki, Stephanie Baer, and Veronica Salas. Tracey has also done chamber music studies at New York University and C.W. Post. She has also played with various groups and artists such as, Huxley Vertical, Katy Pfaffl, Tamar-Kali and many others. Ms. Dixon maintains a violin/viola studio at the Brooklyn Music School in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.

Why would you recommend New York families to celebrate Halloween with One World Symphony? It truly is an event for all ages and is such a fun program. There's the parade before each concert and everyone gets dressed for the occasion, but the music is the coolest scary music that gets us in the Halloween spirit. I don't know of any other orchestra doing it consistently.

What is your highlight of your One World Symphony career to date? That would be my first concert with One World, to honor a fabulous acquaintance, James Coleman, whom I had the pleasure of knowing and working with and because of him, I play with One World Symphony.

To the audience and public, what qualities about One World Symphony would you say that make it unique in the crowded New York cultural scene? I love the vibe, programming and the marketing of the symphony. It’s fresh and daring. You see instantly that we are no run of the mill orchestra.

If you had to choose, what would you say is your favorite piece of music? I have too many, so I'll say Bernstein's Candide.

What music do you listen to in the subway or car? Hip hop. Real true underground hip hop. Not the garbage they call hip hop that is on the radio.

How do you balance being an artist, mother, and a New Yorker? Truly, I have no idea. It is all God and faith to me. Before I had my daughter, Mackenzie, I balanced life very well, I think. My husband and I have been married 6 years, so Mackenzie showed up during year 4 of our marriage. I could practice whenever I pleased and we would go out whenever and wherever we wanted. We lived that New York life and we are both native New Yorkers. Now, as a mother, life as I knew it seems like a distant memory that I wouldn't change for the world. I do miss the time to myself and being able to practice but then everything falls to the wayside when it comes to the little one.

***

One World Symphony
Sung Jin Hong, Artistic Director and Conductor
One World Symphony Vocal Artists
Gregory Eaton, Organist
Hungry March Band, Parade of Horrors

Charles Gounod: Faust (1859, highlights)
Camille Saint-Saens: Danse Macabre (1872)
Leon Boellmann: Toccata from Suite Gotique (1895)
Jason Candler: Boneyard (2010, world premiere) for audience, Hungry March Band, and One World Symphony

Friday, October 29, 2010 at 8:00 p.m.* (parade begins at 7:15 p.m.)
St. Ann and the Holy Trinity
157 Montague Street
Brooklyn Heights

Sunday, October 31, 2010 at 4:30 p.m. (parade begins at 3:45 p.m.)
Church of the Holy Apostles
296 Ninth Avenue (at West 28th Street)
Manhattan

$20 Students/Seniors with ID
$30 General

*Benefitting St. Ann's Roof Restoration Fund

Be seduced by Mephistopheles’ dark magic in Gounod’s Faust, and be captivated by Saint-Saëns’ Danse Macabre and Jason Candler’s Boneyard (2010, world premiere). For a third straight year, celebrate Halloween in costume with the entire family, Hungry March Band and One World Symphony to support St. Ann’s Roof Restoration Fund.
Program length: 80 minutes without intermission

No comments: