Friday, October 29, 2010

FilmScoreMonthly.com: 1946 Photo of Composers William Grant Still, Miklos Rosza, Franz Waxman & Meredith Wilson

[Group of 22 Composers in 1946, Including William Grant Still]

Posted 10/28/10
By Mark Ford
“Bruce Broughton's father passed away recently and he posted the following on his FaceBook page:
"Going through my father's things, I found a letter written from Miklos Rozsa to my grandfather. My grandfather was a composer, but not in the movies. Nevertheless, he treasured the note. This photo shows my grandfather standing with a group of composers in 1946 that include Rozsa, Franz Waxman, Dmitri Tiomkin, Meredith Wilson, Victor Young, John Green and William Grant Still."

“He doesn't say which one is his grandfather. What a great picture with so much talent in one room!” [William Grant Still (1895-1978) is profiled at AfriClassical.com, where a complete Works List by Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma is found.]

1 comment:

Bobbie Fromberg said...

I see my uncle, Victor Young in the picture. This picture is priceless and looks like the group that used to meet on Friday nights for the entire weekend in my parent's house to play cards. My uncle is the shorty in the middle behind the couch and I see Dimitri Tiompkin in the white pants, sitting on the couch. I have many stories of what went on during those card games that have become legend in Hollywood.
Bobbie Hill Fromberg
West Los Angeles, CA