Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nigerian Composer Meki Nzewi: 'African Classical Ensemble Music, Books 1 to 3'



[Prof. Meki Nzewi; African Classical Ensemble Music, Books 1 to 3; Meki Nzewi and O’dyke Nzewi ISBN: 978-1-920355-03-6]

On Jan. 2, 2010 AfriClassical posted: “Meki Nzewi: 'I...register my appreciation of the committed service you are rendering.'” The post quoted an email received that day from Prof. Meki Nzewi:

“Bill, I wish you the best of 2010, and hereby register my appreciation of the committed service you are rendering through promoting the advancement of the classical merits of African music through representing its literacy composers and performers globally. Highly appreciated. Prof. Meki Nzewi Professor of African Music - Theory and Practice Dept. of Music, University of Pretoria. Centre/Programme Director, Centre for Indigenous Instrumental Music and Dance Practices in SADC (CIIMDA)”

The Dictionary of African Composers does not appear to be accessible at present, but it was the resource which introduced us to Prof. Nzewi. This week we heard from his daughter Onunna Anyiwo:

“Good Morning and thank you for the wonderful posting on Meki Nzewi. My name is Onunna Anyiwo and I am Meki's last child. I saw your wonderful write up on http://africlassical.blogspot.com/2009/08/dictionary-of-african-composers.html and wanted to use this opportunity to reach out to you.

“Meki has a website http://www.mekinzewi.com and a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Meki-Nzewi-Official-Page/128995557127943?ref=ts that I am publicizing. I am looking for resources to republish some of his writings here in the US to increase availability and marketability. I also hope to organize some speaking engagements for him in the near future.” “I am also interested in finding book reviewers.” “Once again, I commend and thank you for the great work that you are doing in bringing his over thirty years of work to the limelight. Thank you. Onunna Anyiwo"





No comments: