Thursday, March 6, 2008

Comment on Audio Samples of Florence B. Price (1887-1953)


[Symphony No. 3; Mississippi River Suite; The Oak; The Women's Philharmonic; Apo Hsu, Conductor; Koch 3 75182H1 (2001)]

Florence Beatrice Smith Price (1887-1953) was an African American
composer, arranger and music teacher who is profiled at AfriClassical.com She was the first African American woman to have a symphony performed by a major orchestra. An AfriClassical post on Feb. 12, 2008 included four audio samples of her music. Christine commented on March 2:

“Before today, I never heard of this composer. While listening to our local radio station WVAS from Alabama State University, I was impressed with Ms. Prices' music and the great legacy she left behind. I have been Googling to find as much information that I can. I would love to invest in some of the CD's for my music students. If anyone knows where I can find her music please forward the info.”

While some stores carry CDs of Florence Price, the easiest way to find her available recordings is to visit a classical music website such as ArkivMusic.com or HBDirect.com Another good source is the classical music section of Amazon.com

No comments: